About This Journal
celebrates the lives and creative work of incarcerated and formerly incarcerated people as well as individuals who have been impacted by the criminal justice system. This annual publication showcases writing of all types, including fiction, poetry, and nonfiction. While prospective authors may submit pieces that describe their experiences with incarceration, the publication welcomes contributions on any topic.
Writing submissions can be submitted by email or at the mailing address below. Legible handwritten submissions are welcome. Art submissions are accepted only via email.
Email submissions: firstname.lastname@example.org
c/o Patrick W. Berry
239 H.B. Crouse Hall
Syracuse, NY 13244
All submissions should include:
• Contact information (mailing address as well as email and phone number, if available).
• A 50-word bio to be used if your piece is accepted.
• A brief note confirming that you have been impacted by the criminal justice system.
• We accept only previously unpublished material.
• You may submit up to 5 pieces of writing.
• You may submit as many pieces of art as you like.
• Written submissions should be no more than 6 pages (or 1,800 words).
• Art files should be submitted as JPEGs (highest resolution available).
• Electronic submissions should follow this naming convention: LastNameFirstName_Title
All accepted written pieces will be considered for an annual award that recognizes exceptional writing and includes a $100 prize.
If you have questions, please contact us at email@example.com or at the address above.