Special Collections Research Center at Syracuse University, formerly known as the George Arents Research Library, began as a part of the University’s fledgling library after founding of the school in 1870. A generous donation made possible the first major acquisition of the special collections in 1887 with the purchase of the library of Leopold von Ranke, the founder of modern historical research technique.
The Special Collections Research Center (SCRC) advances scholarship and learning by collecting and preserving rare books, manuscripts, and other primary source materials. SCRC's collections span time and format, from cuneiform tables to born digital electronic files.
Browse the Special Collections:
Newsletters from The Special Collection Research Center - The Courant
The Alexander N. Charters Adult Education Research Grants-in-Aid Program Publications